building website

Our History in Benton Harbor, MI

In 1943, Joe Flaugh, Sr. started the insurance agency as a New York Life Insurance Company Agent and operated out of his home at 542 Pipestone Street, Benton Harbor, Michigan.

In 1951, Joe Flaugh, Sr. and his wife, Roxy, moved the F. Joseph Flaugh Insurance Agency to the Vincent Hotel on Main Street in Benton Harbor. They expanded their product offering to all lines of insurance. Two years later, their son Dan, joined the agency after being discharged from the navy following the Korean War. Dan opened a separate agency on Water Street in 1957. A few years later, his wife Laureen, joined him in the business.

In 1962, Joe Flaugh Jr. joined his parents’ agency. Ten years later, both agencies combined to become the F. Joseph Flaugh Agency.

In 1966, the agency moved to the new Fairplain Plaza in Benton Harbor. Through the years, the agency grew and was in dire need of more space. A new office complex was built in 1988 on Napier Avenue with twice as much space, and the agency moved there and has remained there. In 1997, after 35 years, Joe retired from the agency.

Today, the agency is owned and operated by Dan’s son Cory, who has been involved in the agency for over 20 years.